Head of People
Shoreditch / London & Remote. Part time pro-rata 3 days a week.
We're looking for an ambitious advocate of people to support our teams.
We’re an independent digital product studio of 45+ friendly and focused individuals, with an international client list of global brands. We build long term partnerships with brands seeking digital transformation. With user-centred design at the core of our approach, we work hard to understand their underlying needs. Together we explore the most effective route to deliver change that matters.
Reason is committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We believe diverse teams help us make better products and services and actively hire for cultural growth. We welcome people of all ages, genders, ethnicity, stories and backgrounds. While we are moving in the right direction, we know there are things we have to improve and we will strive to do so.
As Head of People, you will be joining the Operations team at Reason - we’re responsible for building processes and crafting the culture that makes a positive impact on our people.
In this role you are responsible for the end-to-end management, definition and implementation of Reason’s people function, supporting our business strategy.
Supporting the welfare and pastoral care of the wider team, both strong interpersonal skills and being approachable is essential.
- Design and implement new initiatives (and iterate on existing ones) around:
- Onboarding and the employee experience
- Learning and development
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Performance and feedback
- Create trust and empathy with the team and establish yourself as the go-to person when people have concerns, issues or need someone to talk to, acting as a voice for the team with the Reason Leadership Team, to ensure concerns are visible so management can act accordingly. .
- Provide a strong and credible link between the team and senior management, facilitating appropriate focus and communications to maintain the Reason culture and lead monthly updates with the MD to provide a temperature check on how the team is doing.
- Ensure we have a good process to manage annual leave, taking into account that people need to relax and project work needs to be covered.
- Ensure compliance across the people function - from right-to-work checks, to providing documentation to our external immigration team who support sponsored employees,
- Support, coach and develop line managers with 121’s, quarterly reviews, 360 feedback and appraisals,
- Coach and mentor line managers - we encourage progression at all levels and for those that are newly appointed line managers, we’d like to see you use your coaching and mentoring experience to develop those line managers’ softer skills.
- Measure employee satisfaction and help us identify issues that we need to resolve in order to keep the team happy and proud to work at Reason
Talent and Aquisition
- Be an integral part of the Reason Leadership Team to understand and support all areas of talent engagement and the employee proposition.
- Support an effective talent acquisition function for growth — includes review of process, systems and tools.
- Ensure consistency and consolidation of all outbound job specifications,
- Oversee employee leveling and scoring to ensure all employees are being consistently measured against their peers
- Lead the D&I taskforce to facilitate attracting, retaining and incentivising a workforce that embodies Reason’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Ensure that the Reason recruitment process promotes D&I and delivers against appropriate measurements.
- Experience in defining and rolling out initiatives,
- Strong written and verbal communication skills,
- Ability to manage internal and external stakeholders,
- High levels of empathy and emotional intelligence with the ability to engage with any level of the organization. Someone that people naturally feel at ease with and able to come to for counsel.
Nice to have
- CIPD qualified - we welcome partially, or newly qualified - with experience of employment law.
- Experience of hiring either product design or software engineering.
- Demonstrable experience in a talent acquisition role.
- Agency experience
If you’re worried that you don’t 100% tick all of these boxes, please speak to us anyway. We know the “perfect candidate” doesn’t exist and we love it when people bring their own perspectives and passions to Reason.
Meet your team
Your manager at Reason will be our Operations Director and co-founder, Jim Head. Jim has 15 years of experience in digital product, an insatiable curiosity and thirst for knowledge, and is always looking at how we can improve and support our people in the right way.
What you’ll get
- A fair reward for your effort
- Benchmarked salary & 8% pension contribution
- Annual profit share
- Time off to disconnect, relax & care for your family
- 25 days paid time off & bank holidays
- Extra 10 days paid holiday every 3 years
- Enhanced parental compensation packages
- Investment in your personal learning & development
- Personal development budget to use for training & conferences
- Regular company-wide training
- Book purchases
- Regular team & company meetings to give you visibility across all the work we do
- Contribution to your health and wellness
- Significant wellness budget
- Social events to help you bond with your team
- Independent Employee Assistance Programme to help out with issues including mental health, money, HR
- The right tools to do your job
- Standing desk, headphones, input devices, software licenses - do we even need to mention this?
- Annual technology budget you can use to experiment with new kit
What about Covid & flexible working?
Right now, we’re all working from home, with the office open (with Covid-safe measures) for occasional meetings and for anyone who wants a change of scenery. We’ve given as much support as we can for people to work comfortably from home, and will continue to do this.
As and when government regulations relax, we’re aiming for a blended remote working & in-person model. We’ll likely have a minimum number of days in the office (e.g. once or twice a week), probably aligned to specific project/client meetings, with flexibility to work elsewhere for the rest of the time.
So if you’re interested in the role but can only commit to come to the London office for a few days, don’t let this be a barrier - we’ll be happy to discuss your individual circumstances.
And when it does become more common to head back into the office, you’ll be pleased to find:
- space for collaboration and meeting pods for quietly joining remote/hybrid meetings
- a pet-friendly & bike-friendly office
- two huge roof terraces (for when it gets sunny)
- fully-stocked company kitchen (request your favourite snacks!)
- Decide if this job is for you (if you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Apply by emailing us at email@example.com -send us a summary of your experience and tell us why you’re excited about this role
- If your experience seems relevant, we’ll invite you for an interview
- We normally have a 2-round interview process (for now, all done remotely):
- First round is for you to talk about yourself, your career and ambitions, and to ask us questions about Reason
- In the second round, you'll get to meet more of the team but we'll continue to explore the outcomes achieved and the challenges you’ve had to work through in previous roles